Welcome to the Interactive AI CDT Blog. Here is an introduction from our Director, Prof. Peter Flach.
“Welcome to the Artificial Intelligence Blog. This Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) has been funded by UKRI to train the next generation of innovators in human-in-the-loop AI systems, enabling them to responsibly solve societally important problems.”
- to recruit highly motivated postgraduate students from computer science, mathematics, and cognate disciplines, and create an intensive and complementary training experience which comprises a bespoke taught programme in the first year, delivered within a distinctive cohort training environment;
- to set the highest standards of responsible innovation with particular emphasis on AI-specific issues such as transparency, explainability, accountability, fairness, trustworthiness and privacy;
- to promote a human-in-the-loop (HITL) ethos that emphasises technology design for and with different groups of end users;
- to be an exemplar for technology-supported cohort-based training, using the latest developments and insights in flipped classroom teaching and teamwork, open software development tools and platforms, and cross-cohort mentoring;
- to train “AI ambassadors” who, through their deep understanding of the strengths and limitations of artificial intelligence, can contribute to the public debate on AI and its relationship to society;
- to build long-term relationships between the CDT and its industrial partners, enhancing the cohort provision through industry placements, co-supervised projects and research collaboration;
- to support the development of entrepreneurial skills and intellectual property;
- to contribute to the “democratisation of AI” and reduce inequality within the sector by promoting take-up of relevant AI techniques in SMEs;
- to consolidate and expand existing expertise at Bristol and become a leading international research training centre with research and training relationships with global partners.